A section of the site dedicated to Build Guides.

Forum rules

ALL other forum rules apply here.

You MUST post complete guides here if you post them. This means skill/stat distribution as well as gear and strategies you suggest.

Zoen's "Holy Hammerdin" - 1.13 PvM MF Oriented Build

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:28 am

NOTE: This is not my build, i saw this build on another site and i thought it would be a good way to help kill those pesky magic immunes in hell baal when there arent any leechers around.

I'm sure some of you have seen my "Reinventing the Hammerdin" thread. Well, now you get a guide based on that thread. :P

For those that haven't, the "Holy Hammerdin" is pretty much your straightforward Hammerdin with one small tweak, which you will notice in this guide. This build is primarily for those who like to play solo and run Baal for MFing.

1. Stat and Skill Placement

For my particular build, I'm pure Vitality, so if you want to follow this guide exact, dump all of your points there. If you're addicted to max block, then pull a few points from Vitality to Dexterity, but know that your HP count won't be nearly as close to what this guide will show.

Skills are as follows:

20 to Blessed Hammer
20 to Concentration
20 to Vigor
20 to Blessed Aim
20 to Holy Bolt
1 to Redemption
1 to Holy Shield
Prerequisites as necessary

Including prerequisites, you will be spending 108 skill points. This means you will be completely finished with skill placement at level 97, so you will have 2 spare skill points to do whatever you want with.

Why not max Holy Shield and leave Holy Bolt at 1 point? Leaving Holy Bolt at 1 means you will kill Achmel's wave (and any other "bad spawn" Undead Magic Immunes much more slowly. In a solo game, I can kill most regular Undead Magic Immunes in 3 hits, and Achmel's lackeys in 4-5 Holy Bolts at just level 93 and a 4.6k-4.9k Holy Bolt. Without those points, it takes nearly 3 times as long, sometimes longer.

You can let your mercenary poke away at standard Undead Magic Immunes and he'll pretty much kill at the same rate as you with good gear, but Achmel's group is best taken care of by Holy Bolt.

2. Gear setup

Primary Weapon: Heart of the Oak Flail
Secondary Weapon: Call to Arms Flail/Crystal Sword/Double Axe (take your pick)
Primary and Secondary Shields: 40+ base res Spirit (You can substitute Herald of Zakarum for your Primary Shield, but you will need to switch something out in order to reach the 75% breakpoint)
Armor: Enigma (Preferrably something low strength like a Breast Plate, Light Plate, or Mage Plate)
Helm: Harlequin Crest Shako (Socketed with a PTopaz, obviously)
Gloves: Chance Guard Chain Gloves
Boots: War Traveler Battle Boots
Belt: Arachnid Mesh Spiderweb Sash
Rings: Perfect Dearf Stars (30 magic damage reduction at max res = awesome)
Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
Charms: High roll Annihilus, Paladin Torch, and Gheed's Fortune

Life charms are optional, but always welcome.

3. Mercenary Setup

Mercenary type: Normal, Act 2, Combat (Prayer)
Weapon: Insight (preferrably in an ethereal Elite polearm)
Armor: Fortitude (preferrably in an ethereal glitched Elite armor)
Helm: Crown of Thieves Grand Crown (12% life leech is nice)
Helm option 2: Andariel's Face Demonhead (Get rid of the fire res penalty and it's gravy)

Why Prayer? If you recall correctly, Meditation has a healing synergy for Prayer, so when both Meditation and Prayer are active, you're getting healed twice the amount that Prayer would normally do on its own. Combine that with the mostly miniscule damage you'll be taking due to max res and the dual Dwarfs and you'll hardly have to use potions or Redemption, except for those cases you stumble across a Conviction or multi-elemental enchanted Soul.

4. Final product

All readouts are given from a level 93 Hammerdin, pure Vitality build, no life charms:

Maxed skills level 36
Blessed Hammer damage with Concentration: 11k-11k (true damage 10621-10723)
Holy Bolt damage (at level 32): 4378-4950
Mercenary raw damage: 1450-4769
Mercenary damage with Concentration: 2766-9251
75 all resists
Life (without BO): 2252
Mana (without BO): 498
Life (with a level 17 BO): 3750
Mana (with a level 17 BO): 704
Defense (without Holy Shield): 1486
Block (without Holy Shield): 15%
Defense (with a level 17 Holy Shield): 5646
Block (with a level 17 Holy Shield): 25%

Enjoy!

Re: Zoen's "Holy Hammerdin" - 1.13 PvM MF Oriented Build

Thu May 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Very nice build. i actually use holy bolt with my currant hdin but its only got the plus skills from the gear. re-specking right now :)

Sun May 23, 2010 5:56 am

Is this skill build what most hdins are running chaos/baal runs with atm....If not could someone lmk what the new build for chaos/baal runs is pls?

Sun May 23, 2010 7:07 am

Yeah this build is in the same direction i went, but you have to have mb imo. Act 2 def merc holy freeze> combat imo. My merc has insight and does 11k damage with conc. Then the rest of your points into defiance because it gives better returns then hs again imo.

Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 am

Yea i agree with freeze merc but like i said, this isnt my build, just a way to tackle magic immunes

Sun May 23, 2010 10:54 am

I'm using the same normal hdin setup, 1 point into holy bolt and I seem to do just fine in runs. :S

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm

For those who tested this build (or have experience in hammerdins), would you recommend holy shield or holy bolt? I understand the argument with killing undeads (especially wave 2 in Baalruns) faster, but for more general combat and possibly pvp, isnt holy shield much more useful?

Planning to make a hammerdin from scratch, but not sure which of the skills will suit me best.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:39 pm

We have other hdin builds on site, you'll just need to look through all the build guides.

Personaly i max holy shield and keep 1 point in holy bolt.

My merc is a act 2 offensive merc. With my conc and his might skill he does over 15k dmg. Well more then enough to deal with any magic immune you might run into, unless they have physical immune too.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:44 pm

i went with one in holy shield & maxed holy bolt, i also have max block & rest of stat points into vita

works good for me

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 am

the holy bolt duz speed up things, i suggest maxxing block tho. could be done with half hb and half hs as well. with one point in holy bolt i still get 3k dmg.
but i went a diff route with the merc. its a holy freeze merc with eth reapers (found early ladder :superman: ) with a ber rune. a gface with a cham. and an ebugged treachery. this merc rox. 50 fhr. cbf + 45 ias with a thresher = 4 aps. fade kills baals decrep so quick its funny. this merc attacks so quick, and even tho its only doing a max of 7k, it decreps, which pretty much doubles your damage, and breaks phys immues. and hampers their already slow attacks from HF, and helps with my lack of DR. also it has 55% cb and 48 ds! its kinda costly to put a ber rune in a merc's weapon. (i died a lil inside when i did) but i think it was worth it. cham runes are near worthless to all cept mercs. (unless u are BM barb and use dooms) so i didn't mind cham going into merc helm

Full Version